Sunday, June 25, 2017

Ordination and #answering the #door

(ht NASA for the image)
So its getting ordained time.  Not me - the better half.  In preparation my soon to be Rev wife has gone away on a retreat. Via phone calls I've learnt that  - apart from this being the final spiritual preparation for the big ordination day - its also where they do the various swearing loyalty oaths thing.

One is an oath of allegiance to the monarch - "I, A B, do swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, her heirs and successors, according to law: So help me God. "

And the other is an oath of Obedience" I, A B, do swear by Almighty God that I will pay true and canonical obedience to the Lord Bishop of C and his successors in all things lawful and honest: So help me God."


Given what I heard Revs say about the monarchy and/or their bishop it appears that some people take these oaths less seriously than others - or are just forgetful!

The ordination service itself was very moving and of course I was terribly proud of my wife who is now a Deacon and can use the Rev title.  With luck about a year from now she'll be "priested".  After the service there was much photographing of the group of ordinands and friends and family.  The Vicar from the church she's going to be a curate at came along as did several people from the congregation.

On a more mundane note I've been reading up online about the answering the curacy door to homeless people.  Some people seem to suggest this will happen quite a lot so you need to think through your response - so do you give money or offer a cup of tea and a sarnie? - do you invite them in or keep them on the doorstop.

My gut tells me this actually won't be a big issue - although to be fair the online advice I did find often said this was more likely to happen once the Rev becomes a vicar and the main point of focus in a parish(s).  

Also the parish my wife is now a curate in is pretty affluent so I'm guessing this won't be a real issue - but it has demonstrated again how hard it is to find advice from other husbands of Revs on this - or other matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment