Sunday, September 17, 2017

There's usually something happening on #weekday #evenings

One of the things I've had to get used to as a husband of a Rev is the hours she works.

Her typical day often seems to have three shifts, morning, afternoon and evening.  

And although theoretically she ought to limit her hours to something that is sustainable, there always seems to be some special circumstance which means she breaks that discipline quite a lot.

Many weekdays she seems to be out at some sort of meeting in the evening.  Fairly obviously this is because people who are working can only get to weekday meetings in the evenings.  In my experience of doing this you'd get in from secular work, have a hurried snatch of a dinner, and then go out again for a church work meeting.

Working in an office in my secular work meant I was used to meetings. But what I often found hard was switching from secular work meeting mode to church work meeting mode. I would sometimes catch myself at a church meeting asking rather pointedly - "So what is the point you are making" OR "Interesting point- what evidence do you have to back that conclusion up? 

Often the behaviours in the secular and church meetings were surprisingly - and sadly - very similar.  Often both would exhibit the following characteristic ....

"Have you ever been in a meeting where a third into the allocated time everything that needed to be said had been - but not everyone had said it?"

Often as a Revs husband I'l have cooked her a quick dinner by 6 or 6.30pm so she can be on her way out 6.30/7pm ish for a meeting that starts 7 or 7.30 pm

Anyway, for us the practical impact of her often going to evening meetings has been to pull the time of our dinners forward a little compared to our working in London days (when we tended to have dinner around 8pm ish).  

Another practical impact is that I often get 7-9pm to myself in the house.

My advice would be to still try hard to have dinner together - I find its often one of the few times we sit down with each other during a day.

PS - if you've been admiring the picture with the models  - the clothing is from an Apple (yes of iphone fame) clothing line from 1986.

No comments:

Post a Comment