Sunday, April 8, 2018

not having your own room or #space with a #desk


The curates house the parish generously provides as part of my wife's employment is very nice.  I think it may have been adapted to work better as a clergy house - and therefore a venue for various small events and groups.

It has 3 bedrooms which means we have one and so does each of our daughters.

The elongated lounge allow us to use the back half as a lounge and the front half as a dining area.  With a folding down dining table this allows my wife to expand the lounge area to accommodate larger groups.

The kitchen is modern and fine but not large.

The room downstairs that was previously used as a dining room I or my daughters now use as a snug with a TV when the lounge is in use for church events.

And my wife has a separate study.

All of this is  - I understand - fairly normal for a curates house. But it does mean I haven't got a desk or something like it that I can do work from which involves paperwork or books.

So the solution I've gone for is to adapt some free standing wider shelving we already had to act as a standing desk.  The top shelf takes a laptop so the top of its screen is at standing eye level and there is some space for documents alongside. The shelf below that has a keyboard at a level its comfortable to use.  Below there are other shelves with various books and paperwork.

So that is how I've managed to create a space to work from at home.  And its much better on my spine than haunching and twisting over a laptop on my lap whilst sitting on the sofa with paperwork scattered around me.



No comments:

Post a Comment