Sunday, November 26, 2017

Gender stereotypes


I suppose that for years the wives of clergy have had to put up with gender based assumptions about what they will do in the parish as the vicars wife.

So typically their input may have been sought for the Mothers Union, or a Ladies Group, or cake baking or repairing or making fabric furnishings used in church.

Even though there have been women priests since 1994 - and with the 2016 statistics showing 29% of ordained ministers being female  - 

I've found that there are far fewer assumptions about what I'll do in the parish as the husband of a Rev.  

Much like the wives of clergy I'd say that there still is a general assumption that you will play some role in the church other than just attending.  In reality in small churches this is often the case anyway  - because of all the various tasks that need to be done to hold a church service or maintain the building or support the wider community in some way.  (I'm told that in larger churches its far easier to just turn up and not be co-opted onto some task).

There are however some assumptions made based on my gender.  For instance its well known that all men are good at DIY.  Because of that it is assumed that I will do far more maintenance on the curate's house than I'm competent to do.

But even given that assumption I'm grateful that as a male other half of a Rev I have to deal with far fewer assumptions about what I'll do than a female other half would.  And there are small things you can do to counter some of the sexist assumptions female other halves face.  Even if you can't play a role at the church because of other commitments.  

So for example in our marriage when the other half became a Rev we switched to me doing the bulk of the cooking.  It was something I was able to do and it was needed given the 6 day a week morning, afternoon, evening shifts that Revs often have to work.  Indeed amongst men of a certain age it still appears to be something of a revelation that a man would do most of the cooking at home.




No comments:

Post a Comment