Sunday, June 11, 2017

#Cooking and #housework

ht Tomas Laurinavicius for the photo via picjumbo.com
When my wife started her academic training to become a Rev I took on the bulk of the food shopping and cooking duties. 

Previously she had done most of this as I had a longish commute into London each day for work.

Fortunately for us around the time she started studying my circumstances changed and the long commute was no more.

For us making this change turned out to have been the right choice.  All the reading and essay writing and assignments that the course required meant that she would never have had the time to do the cooking for the family as well in the evening.

So for the 3 years she was a studying for the theology degree (non residential) I did almost all of the cooking and food shopping.  I was less good at taking on the house cleaning, clothes washing and ironing duties.  

Since we moved in preparation for the other half starting as a curate I've kept up with the shopping and food cooking duties and got a little better at the cleaning duties (but not the ironing).  To give me a break from cooking the other half does cook once a week - normally on the day off.

For us changing circumstances for both of us meant we were prompted to fall into a new routine that better suited the 6 day a week role my wife was taking on as a Rev.  For others of you it maybe that only the Rev one of you has a change in circumstance ... in which case you need to have a deliberate conversation about what changes to home based chores you need to make. 

No comments:

Post a Comment